Following the release of the RC build last week, Apple released iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 to the general public on Monday. Although there are no major changes in this version, it does improve the Apple Cash and Podcasts apps.
iOS 15.5 new features
Apple claims that iOS 15.5 improves Apple Cash by allowing users to request and pay money from their Apple Cash card in the Wallet app more simply. There’s also a new feature in Apple Podcasts that helps you save storage space on your iPhone, as well as some HomeKit issue fixes.
Apple’s full release notes for iOS 15.5 are as follows:
The following enhancements and bug fixes are included in iOS 15.5:
- Wallet now enables Apple Cash customers to send and request money from their Apple Cash card
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your iPhone and automatically delete older ones
- Fixes an issue where home automation, triggered by people arriving or leaving, may fail
Here are some other changes in iOS 15.5 we’ve spotted so far, not mentioned in Apple’s release notes:
- iOS 15.5 beta 1 changes and features: Wallet updates & handy new HomePod feature [Video]
- iOS 15.5 includes support for apps with external purchases
- iOS 15.5 hints at Bancomat and Bancontact on Apple Pay
- Apple to rebrand iTunes Pass in Wallet app with iOS 15.5
- iOS 15.5 beta blocks ‘Sensitive Locations’ for Memories in Photos app
Go to the Settings app, then General > Software Update to update your devices. More information regarding the security updates introduced with iOS 15.5 may be found on Apple’s website.
It’s unclear whether this is the final update before the first iOS 16 beta, which is expected to release in June, shortly after WWDC 2022.